In the summer of 2013, Cash and I will be travelling across the American states in search of culinary challenges. Between us, we aim to win plenty o' T-Shirts and have our names blazoned upon the walls of fame. From now until then, we need to book our tickets, work out a route and indulge in some pre-arrival challenges here. Luckily, one of us has a food outlet of their own, where new and exciting recipes are always being invented and one of us has a stomach of steel ready for the spicy ones. We shall be updating this blog with our home and away conquests and triumphs, as well as stories of food babies, food contractions and food comas!

Monday 5 November 2012

The Phaal Curry - 1,000,000 scoville units

To start off, let me introduce you to the Scoville scale - the measurement used to work out how hot a chilli is. Basic peppers are at the bottom and spicier varieties are at the top.

People that know me know that a vindaloo is my standard level of curry spice and since moving down to Devon, I soon became familiar with the South Devon Chilli Farm with the Bhut Jolokia chilli (which was the hottest for a while). The first time I tried that, let's just say that I experienced severe stomach cramps, the sweats and tongue burn but...I am now used to it and need something else. With that in mind, you can imagine the way my eyes lit up when my mum showed me this yesterday.

I have always seen the Phaal on the menu but never attempted one, especially when in public plus The Brick Lane Phaal Curry Challenge has been featured on Man vs Food and the chef preparing it had to wear a frickin' gas mask and taste it with his eyes closed so he wouldn't burn his face off! The curry featured on the show had about 10 different chillis in it including the Bhut Jolokia and the Ghost Chilli (which is now said to be the hottest in the world). I definitely want to try this challenge but just to get me into the practise, I shall be making and trying my very own Chicken Phaal Curry this month. I'll be honest - I am nervous and worried that I won't be able to attend school on the Monday but I need to practise. My hope is to attempt as many of the spicy challenges in America as possible as well as a few of the quantity ones so I need to start preparing my stomach lining now! 



Should I be scared?

3 comments:

  1. No. This sauce is nowhere near where you need to be at. Try purchasing Physcho Sauce - Extreme Ghost Chilli sauce and add a couple of drops to this. You will be in the ballpark then :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have psycho dropa 1'000'000 scovilles and I also have psycho slayer 9'000'000 scovilles.... blew my face off with the 1 mill... I wont yet try yhe 9 mill.... thats just suicide! The phall curry sauce you show is very nice and I eat it often but as hot as it is it wont go wrong with an extra boost from a 1 million scoville dropper ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have psycho dropa 1'000'000 scovilles and I also have psycho slayer 9'000'000 scovilles.... blew my face off with the 1 mill... I wont yet try yhe 9 mill.... thats just suicide! The phall curry sauce you show is very nice and I eat it often but as hot as it is it wont go wrong with an extra boost from a 1 million scoville dropper ;)

    ReplyDelete