In the summer of 2013, Cash and I will be travelling across the American states in search of culinary challenges. Between us, we aim to win plenty o' T-Shirts and have our names blazoned upon the walls of fame. From now until then, we need to book our tickets, work out a route and indulge in some pre-arrival challenges here. Luckily, one of us has a food outlet of their own, where new and exciting recipes are always being invented and one of us has a stomach of steel ready for the spicy ones. We shall be updating this blog with our home and away conquests and triumphs, as well as stories of food babies, food contractions and food comas!

Thursday 15 August 2013

Dallas Continued...

So I make my way downstairs for the happy hour of drinks and snacks. I spot a side table with coffees on it and my heart sinks a little but I go up and make myself a strong one with hazelnut milk. I sit down on a table facing the TV and sip my coffee...then as I look to the right of me, I notice 3 hot plates full of food and think to myself 'how long should I leave it before I go and get something...I can't do it too soon as I purposefully went for the coffee...'As I contemplating my next move, luckily a clean shaven Cash comes back and he goes and looks at what is on offer. He comes back with some great news - there is free beer!! I down a couple more gulps of my coffee and then go and get myself a Coors! It tastes like the nectar of the Gods - it is divine! We decide to then look up if there is any comedy taking place in the area (as we have been listening to comedic podcasts on our car journeys) and there is a place called the Dallas Comedy House. Cash goes to shower, whilst I order a cab and have myself another beer - a Bud Lite this time. Delish. I also help myself to a few CHICKEN GOUJONS!!! I am in heaven and then we head down to the venue about 720pm. Our taxi driver - Albert - is a sweet old man who truly loves Dallas and Texas and tells us all about the state. We arrive at the venue in Downtown Dallas and it's full of people; we're not sure who is performing and who is supporting - it's open mic night - and so we get a couple of beers and chat to a few of the people. It is a lovely buzz and the venue is very cool. They even do classes too - http://d/allascomedyhouse.com/

We order a whisky next as we chat to the barman. It is just like the movies, they are interested in what you have to say and genuinely lovely people. The whisky is called
Makers Mark Whisky and it's smooth and sweet and we have it on the rocks. It gets me very merry, to the point of my stomach doing flips like I'm on a roller coaster.

The comedians are a mixed bag - some are genuinely funny and some completely crash and burn. We gets to chatting to one of them outside called Jonathan Williams - he gives us his youtube address. Haven't looked at it yet but here it is -http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xnVHdof8ymI

We stay until about midnight and then head back to the hotel. But I am starving so we head over to Denny's, which is just opposite the hotel first. There are plenty of crickets or locusts (do they still exist?) about and Cash is a little scared. When we get to Denny's, it is fairly busy considering the time.

I have 3 Samplers - cheesey quesadilla, mozzerella sticks and chicken tenders - 6/10
Cash has the bacon cheddar burger with fries - 6/10. They filled a craving but weren't amazing or original!

I fall asleep pretty much as soon as my head hits the pillow...but not before a feeble attempt at a Gladiators-style (on my first whistle...ready) pudle stick fight.

Tomorrow we are off to New Orleans!

No comments:

Post a Comment