In the summer of 2013, Cash and I will be travelling across the American states in search of culinary challenges. Between us, we aim to win plenty o' T-Shirts and have our names blazoned upon the walls of fame. From now until then, we need to book our tickets, work out a route and indulge in some pre-arrival challenges here. Luckily, one of us has a food outlet of their own, where new and exciting recipes are always being invented and one of us has a stomach of steel ready for the spicy ones. We shall be updating this blog with our home and away conquests and triumphs, as well as stories of food babies, food contractions and food comas!

Saturday 24 August 2013

Day 29 - New York

After passing the time playing cards in station - I win 2/3 games and Cash's forfeit is that he has to give up cigarettes. If I had lost, I'd have to shave my hair off. We play one more game for Cash to win back his cigarette privileges, which he does.

We get to NYC about 5am and make our way to the connecting bus. We are meant to be on a 6am bus but this doesn't exist so we wait around for about an hour and a half and then get on a 15mins journey!! I am tired, in pain after lugging all our bags across America and all I want to do is have a shower and put on some clean clothes. We can't check in until 1pm so we have a couple of coffees in a local McDonald's so that we can use their wi-fi. I go for a little wander around the area we'll be staying at and it is heavily influenced by the Latin culture. I have scoped out a few food places, that look tasty.

We then decide to go and see a film to pass the time. We carry all of our stuff across the subway only to find that the cinema has closed down! C*NTS!!!!

We are currently in a Starbuck's and are passing the time until we can go check in. I get a iced green tea, which is actually very pleasant and refreshing. Cash gets a vanilla frappacino with two extra shots of coffee. I am discreetly doing some people watching and there is a very, very sexy man sat to my left. I love the accent here!

More to report on later. We are thinking of going to see another comedy show once we have had a nap and got ourselves cleaned up (in the non-drug-taking sense). 2 hours to go...

We eventually get to the apartment after Cash has gone to a barber's who charges him $25 for a shave, that's $20 more than he'd pay in England. In his sleepless delirium, he didn't ask about the price until it was too late!

At the apartment, we meet our host, who is very stern with us - 'YOU MUST NOT TOUCH ANYTHING IN THE KITCHEN'. Cash and i both trying to get her to leave so that we can sleep but she just wants to make conversation and is quite standoffish with us but she does eventually leave.

I have a shower and it is the best shower I have ever had! I feel clean and fresh! I then get a text from Lina, who recommends going to Katz - the deli where they filmed the famous 'yes, yes, yes' scene from When Harry Met Sally so instead of having a nap, I head out. Cash does some laundry and has a nap. I take the subway and it's awesome.

Katz is massive and busy with people shouting orders left, right and centre. I order a pastrami on rye with mustard and a pickle on the side. It is sooooo tasty. The meat melts in your mouth. I only manage half - I think I've broken my insides. I want to eat more but my stomach can't take anymore.

I then find a bar and have a Miller Lite in a bar on E1 Street. I think it's an Irish one and sit outside and people-watch for a bit. I love it here but it is super intense, vibrant, busy. Not sure I could do it for very long. I then head back home (falling asleep on the subway) for a well overdue nap.

I get home and Cash is still asleep on the sofa. I have a luxury nap in bed and get up about 7pm. We then head out to see a comedy night at Stand Up NY and it is very good. There are some talented comedians here (and some not so). One guy's impression of a tyrannosaurus rex is hilarious!! After the gig, we get to chatting to one of the comedians and we walk to the subway altogether. I love New York!

The night ends at 220am for me; Cash gets a McDonalds on the way home.

No comments:

Post a Comment