In the summer of 2013, Cash and I will be travelling across the American states in search of culinary challenges. Between us, we aim to win plenty o' T-Shirts and have our names blazoned upon the walls of fame. From now until then, we need to book our tickets, work out a route and indulge in some pre-arrival challenges here. Luckily, one of us has a food outlet of their own, where new and exciting recipes are always being invented and one of us has a stomach of steel ready for the spicy ones. We shall be updating this blog with our home and away conquests and triumphs, as well as stories of food babies, food contractions and food comas!

Thursday 22 August 2013

Day 26 - Philadelphia

We get up about 11am and head out to get some Philly Cheesesteaks as suggested to us by some of the peeps in the bar last night. The first one on the list is Steve's Prince of Steaks. I have a Steak and Provolone cheese one - 7/10. Was ok, the meat was freshly cooked and the cheese was nice and melty but in terms of flavour, it pretty much just tasted of meat, cheese and bread. I am a little disappointed but that's probably because I am comparing it to Potbelly's.

Cash has a double steak and cheese with fries - 7.5/10. He thinks the same.

We then head over to a museum, not just any museum but the one where they filmed Rocky!! We park up and as Cash is in pain from playing with kettlebells yesterday, I take one for the team and run up the steps a la Rocky in the film. Cue theme tune - #it's the eye of the tiger, it's the thrill of the fight...# We then pop into the museum, find out it's $20 and walk straight back out again. We want to be cultured but on a budget. We find the Rocky statue, take a few photos and then head home briefly so that I can pick up my laptop. We then drive to Walmart, where Cash picks up a new iPhone charger and some t-shirts. We head over to, what we have now been told is one of the dangerous places in the US, Camden in New Jersey hoping to find a free library so that we can do some banking, web surfing and I can write some of my dissertation. The library is closed so we find another back in Philly. We stay for a couple of hours, booking a Greyhound bus ride to New York from Boston and plan to go back to Washington tomorrow to see a Joey Diaz stand up show after popping into Newark. Once we are done, we head to Old City to have our second Philly Cheesesteak at Campo's. Again, it is ok but I'm not in love with it. The beer I have alongside it helps though.

The Works Philly Cheesesteak - 7/10
My original Philly Cheesesteak - 6/10 - I think I've deduced what the problem is, the provolone cheese tastes a bit sour, like it's gone bad. Now, I love stinky cheeses but this one is a little grating!

We pop to the Italian market, before heading back home to our Air BnB hosts, where we have decided to stay at for another night, looking for some cannolis but it's closed for the day. We stop and get a coffee and the owner tells us where to find the best ones - it opens at 8am tomorrow so we plan to get some Italian pastries for breakfast.

We get home and chat to our host for a bit. I spend the rest of the evening finishing off my dissertation. The plan is to do this then head to a bar but I tell Cash that I think it's going to take me quite a while (editing and page numbering are a-holes) so recommend he heads out and that I might join him later. At about 1130pm, I finish my last draft (with bibliography to do properly when I'm back) and send it.

One more week to go. Definitely need a detox when I get back! My winter coat is arriving a little earlier than planned. Tomorrow, Newark and Washington DC!

No comments:

Post a Comment