In the summer of 2013, Cash and I will be travelling across the American states in search of culinary challenges. Between us, we aim to win plenty o' T-Shirts and have our names blazoned upon the walls of fame. From now until then, we need to book our tickets, work out a route and indulge in some pre-arrival challenges here. Luckily, one of us has a food outlet of their own, where new and exciting recipes are always being invented and one of us has a stomach of steel ready for the spicy ones. We shall be updating this blog with our home and away conquests and triumphs, as well as stories of food babies, food contractions and food comas!

Saturday 24 August 2013

Day 28 - Boston

I thought the Florida car trip was bad, but this was one was a lot worse. According to Google, the trip was meant to take 5hours, instead, it took us about 12 and was pretty intense, especially when arriving in the New York area. The driving turns erratic and everyone is in a rush to be somewhere else! We play several games to pass the time and I am concerned that Cash doesn't know his alphabet still!

We stop at a place called Double Diner for breakfast. It looks like your typical kind of American diner, complete with jukebox on every table.

I have the Choc chip Pancakes x3 and a coffee - 5.5/10
Cash has Blueberry pancakes, sausage, bacon, eggs, coffee and a coke - 7/10

I am fast deciding that my body canny take no more! It feels like my skin is too tight for the rest of my body!

After the food, we drive to Boston. We need to pick up our Greyhound tickets for our bus trip to New York, leaving at 1am; drop off the car and visit Harvard.

There is f**kloads of traffic - we have not seen anything of this magnitude since we have been here. It is a shock to the system. We pass New York, New Jersey and Massachussetts. There is more of a UK feel to the East coast. Life is much faster and everyone is a little bit more intense. After a few wrong turns, we eventually arrive and pick up the bus tickets. We head over to Harvard Uni area about 8pm and have dinner. We spot a burger joint called Mr Bartley's and after pretending to look elsewhere, we head in. It is an award-winning place and does not disappoint.

Cash has the Big Papi burger, coleslaw, cajun fries, onion rings, vanilla malt and Mrs Bartley's rootbeer - 8/10

I have the Reuben burger (sauerkraut and swiss cheese) with extra jalopenos and a coke - 8/10

The place is friendly, funny and quirky and it is packed. The food comes out quickly and we devour it. Cash then worries whether or not there will be a toilet on the bus (we later find out there is)...

We drop off the car at the car rental place, which is in the middle of nowhere and get a couple of shuttle buses back into the city centre to get our train. I wish we could've spent more time here as it is awesome. I have managed to visit somewhere I have wanted to for ages - Harvard, Cambridge is beautiful and I could definitely spend some more time here!

We wait around for about 90mins and then get on the Greyhound. It is full considering it's 1am! I am concerned that I haven't changed my clothes (including my pants) since yday 8am! I am seriously considering going commando but I am wearing jeans so I foresee some chafing!

The bus is fairly quick and I manage to get about an hour or two of sleep. Cash talks to a guy called Bob, who tells him that Camden is a very dangerous neighbourhood (we were there the other day) and that we were very lucky we didn't get killed!

1 comment:

  1. Hey! I just wanted you to know that I featured your recipe on my blog!
    food

    ReplyDelete